Monday, December 29, 2014

December 29, 2014

 
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
 
It's weird that the last time I was writing this letter home, I was with Elder McWhorter in El Ferrol. Good times... Well, first of all, I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and making lots of memories! Christmas this year was pretty great! But I'll talk about that in a little.
On Monday, we had a normal day since our P Day was on Christmas and we had a lesson with Javier and Lourdes that went really well!  We set a baptismal date for the both of them for the 24th of January. They seem to have a lot of desires to get to know people in the branch here in Oviedo and come to church so hopefully we can get them ready for the 24th!  After we had a good lesson with Prosper on missionary work and the priesthood. It went well!
Every year in Madrid on the week of Christmas, the zones in Madrid have a huge Christmas devotional and all of the missionaries down there get together to celebrate Christmas. For the second time in a row, I missed it!!  This year, David Archuleta came as well and sang a few songs. It sounds like it was really fun but we had a great time up here in Oviedo! Elder Ward planned a great devotional for us and I learned alot about the importance of Christmas this year. It's kind of amazing how much I can learn about simple things like Christmas and missionary work even after having done it for so long.
On Wednesday, the noche buena as they call it here, The Hunt's invited us over to their house for dinner! The other missionaries came and some YSA members and it was great! I was in charge of the dessert and let's just say I whipped out some egg nog shakes which turned out suuper good!! I was suprised because I had to make them from scratch and I've never made egg nog from scratch before but it was really good and pretty easy too. It was a memorable night and Elder Ward dressed up as Santa Clause which made it even better. 
Christmas was good and tranquilo. We had breakfast at the Hunt's and then I dominated everyone in Uno by winning 4 games out of the 6  that we played. I was on fire haha. Skyping with the family was great too! It was really good to see my family and I miss them a lot. In the afternoon we hit the streets and received a couple of Christmas references which was bomb. I've heard that in some missions they don't let the missionaries go out to proselyte on Christmas but we go hard here in Spain.
The rest of the week was great. The highlight was when we went to sing at an elderly peoples home (that sounds really weirdly phrased sorry its called a residencia here...). We sang some carols and some hymns and it was great! I also played the lead role in a skit about a boy who gives his winter coat to a poor kid. And I also played the role as one of the Whos in Whoville. Elder Ward of course took the role as the Grinch. It was unforgetable haha. Sunday was great too. I gave the lesson in the Elders Quorum on Christmas and it went really well. 

I especially wanted to share with all of you a verse from the Old Testament that I found. Micah 5:2 "But thou, Beth-lehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." And a snip from verse 5: "And this man shall be the peace" I know that Jesus is our Savior. What better time do we have to think about him than now? As this Christmas season ends, I hope that we all can remember our Savior a little more during this coming year. I know that He lives and that He loves us. He was born in the humble city of Bethlehem, but He truly is a ruler in Israel and the Son of God. He is the way, the truth and the life!

I love you all!

Elder Franklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment